Monday, July 20, 2026

The Charedi View of the IDF

IDF soldiers in the Chashmonaim brigade
I am not a Religious Zionist, nor am I Charedi. The truth is that I am hard to peg. Always have been. But I do have an identity that does not fit neatly into any one category.

Truth be told, however, I lean far more toward the Religious Zionist point of view than I do toward the Charedi one. Although I value much of the Charedi approach to Judaism, their leadership has lately become so intolerant of the Religious Zionist perspective that it has become almost impossible for me to respect those who increasingly reflect that intolerance.

Although I do not subscribe to the belief that the modern State of Israel is “the first flowering of our redemption,” I wholeheartedly support the State of Israel. I believe that every Jew has a responsibility to help defend the country in which they live and prosper, whether that prosperity is financial or spiritual. I consider Israel my ancestral homeland, and I am profoundly grateful to the founders of the Jewish state for building it into a model society that has produced great people and remarkable achievements, both religious and secular. As a Jew, I could not be prouder of that.

Not so the Charedi world.

That said, the Charedi world is far from monolithic in how it views the State of Israel and its obligations to it. One thing does seem clear, however: much of its religious leadership is.

I admire the views of some prominent Charedim, but I am literally appalled by the views expressed by many of their leaders. Never has this been more evident than in the divergent perspectives published in two separate articles.

In yet another admirable Mishpacha column, Jonathan Rosenblum rebukes those within his own Charedi community who refuse to recognize the legitimate concerns of the Religious Zionist and Dati Leumi (Modern Orthodox) communities regarding military service:

I think we can all agree that Israel needs an army. If Bnei Yisrael, upon entering Eretz Yisrael, were explicitly commanded with respect to warfare, certainly our lowly generation is no better situated to rely on Divine miracles alone to defeat our enemies.

Further, I would guess that almost all can agree that the campaigns waged by the IDF in Gaza and Lebanon since October 7 were required, and that more than 100,000 Jews could not be left indefinitely to choose between fleeing their homes or being subject to constant rocket fire and the threat of invasion.

If an army is required, then we can drop all slogans that imply that service in the IDF is ipso facto forbidden. The manner in which the IDF is organized, with respect to the integration of genders and the like, may make participation halachically prohibited, but that is a far cry from arguing that army service is inherently forbidden.

It also follows that all the citizens of Israel owe a debt of hakaras hatov to those serving in our defense and should say so openly and often.

Coming from a prominent Charedi columnist, these words are remarkable, especially in light of the strident opposition of Charedi leaders to drafting any Charedim. The fact that his 35-year-old married son, a father of three, enlisted in the Chashmonaim Brigade and is currently stationed in Lebanon gives Jonathan’s words even greater moral weight.

Then there are the published words of Rav Chaim Mordechai Ausband, a prominent Charedi Rosh Yeshiva…

To continue reading - and/or to comment on this post  - click on this link: substack. You must subscribe to receive new posts. It's easy and it's free.