Friday, July 24, 2026

The Making of a Kiddush HaShem

Image from Photography by Rick and Rich
I don’t often brag about my city. (Well... maybe I do. A little.) But I can’t help taking pride in how Chicago’s Orthodox Jewish community presents itself to its non-Jewish neighbors.

That is not to say there isn’t the occasional chilul Hashem here, just as there is in other large cities with sizable Orthodox Jewish populations. There most certainly is. And when I become aware of it, I call it out.

But in the aggregate, the Jews who make up Chicago’s entire Orthodox community make me proud. All of us—from Chasidim to the right-wing yeshiva world, to Centrists, to Modern Orthodox—deserve credit for making a Kiddush Hashem at the many public gatherings where non-Jews are present.

Last Monday night I attended a screening of Names, Not Numbers, an annual project in which my alma mater, Fasman Yeshiva High School, participates. Students interview and film Holocaust survivors, preserving their stories for future generations.

A photographer was hired by the school to photograph the speakers and attendees. His name is Rich. At 73, he is now semi-retired. Back when he was in his prime, he and his partner, Rick, were among the most sought-after photographers in Chicago. During my own years as a professional videographer, we frequently worked side by side. Rich and I became good friends. Rich is not Jewish.

I mention all this because of a brief conversation my wife, Annie, had with him that evening. She noticed the words “Baruch Hashem” printed in the upper-right corner of his business card, which she had asked him for in order to stay in touch. Curious, she asked him about it. He didn’t have time to answer while he was working the event, but he promised to send her an email explaining it.

Here is what he wrote:

Good morning Annie,

As to your question, I have a profound respect for your religion, and I often use those words in conversations when appropriate. Although, as I mentioned to Herschel, I am exploring all aspects of religion, both present and past, I feel a kinship with yours.

That is why whenever I am partaking in an event within the community, I wear a yarmulke as a sign of respect and a personal feeling of belonging, in a small way, to the community.

I do on occasion forget my prized yarmulke, and when I do, I am very much aware of feeling more like an outsider.

Of all the events I’ve done in my career, I’ve always felt more connected with community events, even though I am not a Jewish person. This feeling is why I have focused on doing community events over Christian ones in the twilight of my career.

Rich

This letter is a real testament to how a Jew - especially one who identifiably Orthodox, as indicated by wearing a yarmulke (kippah) - should conduct himself in public.

Even at events attended almost entirely by Orthodox Jews, such as weddings, non-Jews are almost always present. Photographers, waiters, hotel staff, musicians, and other vendors are watching us. So are many non-Orthodox Jews. Some may view us with a jaundiced eye, looking for confirmation that we are no better than anyone else. Or perhaps even worse. Others simply know very little about us and are forming their impressions based on what they see.

It is therefore all too easy to create a massive chilul Hashem through inappropriate behavior. Especially at weddings. Often this is fueled by excessive drinking. Sometimes it is the result of overexuberance – young people becoming so wrapped up in themselves that they ignore everyone around them under the mistaken assumption that they are merely being mesame’ach chasan v’kallah, performing the mitzvah of bringing joy to the bride and groom…

To continue reading - and/or to comment on this post  - click on this link: substack. You must subscribe to receive new posts. It's easy and it's free.