Thursday, October 19, 2006

Reflections on a Golden Sukkos and Yom Tov Sheni

As I sit here in Heathrow Airport in England waiting for a connecting flight to Chicago, I have a chance to reflect a bit on Sukkos in Israel. First, as a grandfather I cannot tell you how much joy I had spending the Yom Tov of Sukkos in the Holy Land with my son, daughther in law, and grandchildren. It is an experience words cannot adequately express.

First, a word about the city in which I spent Yom Tov: The suburbun Ramat Bet Shemesh. This little enclave of religious Jews is a wonderful mix of Charedim and Datim (and some Chilonim). It is also a city that is in the midst of a building boom the likes of which are quite rare. Mostly luxury homes are being built now. But there exists a home for virtually every budget from condos, to town homes, to mansions. Although prices of all homes there are on the rise.

As I have stated in the past, Ramat Bet Shemesh is a relatively new and physically beautiful city. It has both the natural beauty of nearby mountain ranges and the man-made beauty of stunning architecture that is unique to Israel. It is a planned community with parks, shopping centers, schools, and Shuls. It has a hilltop view in the middle of town that offers a picturesque view of the city. All structures there are built with Jerusalem stone which gives the entire city a golden hew.

Even more beautiful than the physical beauty of the inanimate objects is the beauty of the residents there. There is a large population of Anglos there who are mostly Americans. This makes it a very attractive destination for American Olim. If I understand correctly, Ramat Bet Shemesh is either the exclusive or at least primary destination for Nefesh B’Nefesh Olim.

The most striking difference between celebrating Yom Tov in Israel and celebrating it in US is the fact that in Israel, it is Yom Tov everywhere! Even the non religious know it. It is a national holiday. And in a place where the vast majority of people are Frum you really feel it. It is Sukkos all over. Every dwelling has a Sukka. And everyone uses it. The weather is summer like and that makes eating in a Sukka quite pleasant and refreshing.

I mostly Daven’d with my son. His Shul is the most Charedi Shul in town, Maasas Mordechai. But even though it is a Charedi Shul, there are many Datim to be found there at any given time who take advantage of the various and multiple Minyanim throughout the day. And everyone is respectful and friendly to each other. None of the famous Israeli polarization was evident to me. Although it may exist in the minds of some of the residents, I detected none of it. In fact, what I saw was the exact opposite. My son, who Paskins Shailos for his Shul, receives Shailos from both Datim and Charedim.

Another Shul that I Daven’d in is called The Gra Shul. My son is the Rosh Kollel of a night Kollel there every night from 9:00 till 10:30 PM. That Shul too was very user friendly and opened to all. It was also the Shul used by those of us who needed a Minyan for Yom Tov Sheni. (If I recall correctly, the Mishnah Berurah says that it is best to Daven B’Yichidus, but the Minhag in Eretz Yisroel is for Chutznikm (as we are called) to Daven with a Minyan if possible. More about this later.

There is a Shul to cater to every slice of Yiddishkeit. In fact as my son explains it, there is a YU type Shul there, Beis Yisroel, whose Rav is Rav Chaim Malinowitz, who as many may know is the general editior of the Artscroll Shas Bavli.

The only damper for me on this trip was Yom Tov Sheni Shel Galios. Although there are Heterim for Chutznikim to observe only one day of Yom Tov in Israel, the vast majority of Poskim advise those of us who live in Chtuz La’aretz to observe the second day of Yom Tov when in Israel.

It was weird! And I hated it! There is nothing so anti-climatic and even boring as Hakafos on the night of Yom Tov Sheni with a few overly exuberant Chutznikim who take it seriously. Especially after having already done those self same Hakafos earlier in the day and the night before. When the entire country is in a weekday mode of: putting on Teffilin, driving, going to school and work, phones ringing, people shopping… observing Yom Tov Sheni really feels kind of ridiculous.

I had already had two Hakaofos, one earlier in the day and on the night before. What a strange feeling it was for me the next day… doing Hakaofos again, listening to Chasan Torah again, Chasan B’Resishis again all the Aliyos again… and then getting home at 2:00 in the afternoon only to find my grandchildren listening to a CD (which was such off upon my entering the house) while my daughter in law was on the phone discussing work with her boss, and my son was dismantling the Sukka! And I made Kiddush in the middle of all this! We did eat the two Seudos together, but it did not feel real.

I don’t know what the Halachic purpose of this Gezeirah is but it really seems to be out of place. The reasons I have heard (I have not personally researched this reasons for this Halacha) seems very far fetched to me.

But other than that, it was a priceless vacation spent with the Israeli branch of my family and I sit here at Heathrow reflecting on a truly wonderful experience.