Thursday, May 10, 2007

Awards... and Why I Care

The Jewish and Israeli Blog Awards (JIB) final round voting is underway. This will be my only post about it. We have made the finals in all five categories in which we have nominated. I say “we” because the success of this blog is due in large part to the participation of all who either read or comment in it. Those who appreciate this blog would do me a great honor by voting for it in the JIBs. The blue banner just above this post is a link to the voting in all categories. Just click on it. It will stay up for the duration of the vote. Voting closes on May 16, 9 pm CDT.

I would like to take this opportunity to specifically thank those of you who participate with your comments. Whether pro or con your contributions help make this blog the success that it is. Through the exchange of ideas, we all benefit.

It is an honor to be included with the many great bloggers who made it to the final round of voting, some of whom I read on a regular basis. And from time to time they give me inspiration for my own posts. All of them probably deserve to win.

So, why do I care?

The purpose of this blog is to advance the ideals of Centrism. Those ideals include, amongst other things, seeking the Truth of Torah and promoting the positive value of Mada; advocating moderation and rejecting extremism and excess; encouraging Jewry to be a light unto the nations and to respect all of mankind… and to always avoid Chilul HaShem. Ultimately it is about bettering ourselves.

To quote the late Bobby Kennedy, “Some people see things as they are and ask why... I dream of things that never were and ask why not”. I ask the former, in order to achieve the latter.

The more people who receive our message, the more likely it will be heard by those in positions to effect change. Winning these awards will probably increase readership and get the message of this blog out to a lot more people. I hope that my readers feel the same way and take the time to vote. The ballots are one click away.

Here are the linked individual categories. Click on each or click on the blue bar above this post. (You must first perform a quick one time voter verification):

Best Overall Blog

Best Large Blog

Best Jewish Religious Blog

Best Torah Blog

Best Jewish Anti-Establishment Blog