Tuesday, December 04, 2012

She’s a Whore?

Satmar Chasidim
I have been told by three independent sources that the Satmar Rebbe of Kiryas Joel – using this week’s Parsha - has publicly suggested that the victim (testifying at the trial of alleged sex abuser Nechmeya Weberman) is a whore. I hope it’s not true. I would think that the Satmar Rebbe would not make public statements like this about an abuse victim. But if  it is true, as my sources insist that it is, I will certainly not dignify that remark by commenting on it.

I would instead urge anyone who can make it - to attend a demonstration at the Armory in Williamsburg tonight. Satmar is having their annual Chuf Alef Kislev event there. It should be well attended.

I have also been told by reliable sources that there are many Satmar Chasidim who are sympathetic to the victim and believe her story. One she told in intimate detail at the trial.

I hope that’s true.  But as of yet all I have seen thus far was a rally and fundraiser for alleged sex abuser Nechemya Weberman. There were media published images of hundreds if not thousands of Satmar and other like minded Chasidim coming out for that rally. I have not seen anything remotely comparable in support for the victim.

To that end I have received notification about a demonstration from one of the organizers of that event. I am happy to post them here: 
Please come out and lend support, as we peacefully stand outside and protest the tactics being employed by this community towards the victim and her family. 
We have secured permits with the 90th precinct, and have been assured 'sight and sound', meaning they will set up our area within eye and earshot of people entering the premises so we make a statement. I have assured the deputy inspector that we will be civil even in our rage, and we would like to show who the decent people here are. So please do not make our side look bad with inappropriate behavior. Signs may and should be made, but you cannot use sticks on the bottom and please refrain from making it too outrageous or offensive. (emphasis mine)
Should you have media contacts or friends who are photographers and wish to document it, there will be an area set up for them as well.

Location:              355 Marcy Avenue,
                            Brooklyn,  NY 11206

Date:                    Tonight – December 4th.

Time:                   8:00 PM EST

I would ask all Satmar Chasdim of good will to show up at that demonstration tonight in support of the victim. In massive numbers. Let your voices be heard. Let it surpass the massive support we’ve seen for the accused. Now would be a good time to show that support.