Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Sick to my Stomach

Rabbi Shmuel Auerbach
Last Friday I posted my views about a disgusting Chilul HaShem carried out in the streets of Jerusalem.  One that Rabbi Shmuel Auerbach was responsible for. He called for a 'day of rage' by his followers and they were all too happy to oblige. In spades. I have been moved to add the following sentiment:

I have been sick to my stomach over recent harm to the sanctity of the Torah, which has been degraded to the very depths of hell by some empty and reckless (youths). 
This is exactly the way we should all feel about those young protesters who were incited by Rabbi Auerbach to behave despicably. That the Torah has been degraded to the depths of Hell elevates  Rabbi Auerbach’s exhortation into a Chilul HaShem of unprecedented proportion. At least in my life time. That is the burden he will now carry to his grave.

The Gemarah (Yuma 86A) describes the Chilul  HaShem as the worst sin of all because it might give  the impression that a religious Jew is acting unethically:
 “One who reads the Torah, and studies Mishna, and serves Talmidei Chachamim, but his business practices are not conducted faithfully, and he does not speak pleasantly with people, what do people say about him? Woe to so-and-so who studies Torah, woe to his rebbe who taught him Torah … see how destructive are his acts, and how ugly are his ways,” 
Anything that makes the Torah and her adherents look bad is a Chilul HaShem. There is no penance for such a person in this world. There is nothing he can say or do. Only death atones for a Chilul HaShem. So says the Gemarah in Yuma. 

(Please do not misconstrue. I am not God forbid calling for Rabbi Auerbach's death. I am only quoting the Gemarah. The death referred to in the Gemarah is any case not at the hand of man. It only means that there is no earthly means of repentance until one dies.)

Lest anyone think I am being too harsh and have no right to say things like: ‘I am sick to my stomach’ and that ‘the Torah has been degraded to the very depths of Hell’… it is not me saying it. It is Rav Chaim Kanievsky. I have never agreed with him more.