Wednesday, February 27, 2019

The President, Kim Jong Un, and Michael Cohen

Michael Cohen testifying in congress (NPR)
It’s really difficult to divert my attention from what is going on in both Washington and Viet Nam.  Although these issues do not directly affect the Jewish community, they do affect all Americans of which many of us are. What happens today in those two parts of the world will not only affect the United States, but the entire world.

First let me briefly dispense with my views about what is going on in Viet Nam. The President is now meeting with North Korean dictator, Kim Jong Un in an effort to eliminate North Korea’s nuclear weapons. Although we have a long way to go to see that happen – if it ever does – it is my sincere hope and prayer that the President will be successful in doing that. I am grateful that he has begun the process of doing that and hope he brings it to fruition. We owe the President deep gratitude for beginning the process that has turned things around.

This brings me to what is happening simultaneously in Washington. Unless one is deaf, dumb, and blind, they have to know that the President’s former lawyer, Michael Cohen, is currently testifying against his former employer with some very damning information. Based on what has already been released - Cohen has painted one of the most unflattering pictures ever painted of a sitting President. Certainly not since Richard Nixon.

It isn’t only his testimony that is damning. The documentation he presents that will apparently back it up. Among other things Cohen has made accusations of racism, tax fraud, violation of campaign finance laws, and generally lying to the American people. And a man of low moral character, and of little conscience. 

Unfortunately, I believe Cohen despite the fact that he was convicted of lying to congress. Why? Based on what the President himself has said and how he behaves, those accusations are not a stretch to believe. While I do have reservations about the timing of this testimony believing it is designed to undermine the President at such a sensitive time, that does not take away the testimony itself.

I do not find it surprising that Cohen revealed the President’s motivation in running for President. He said that the President described it as an infomercial for his brand. For him it was all about business. There was never any real intent to win the Republican nomination, much less the Presidency. He never expected to win. That too is easy to believe. How sad it is that a man who never wanted to be President and only ran for  publicity purposes is now - unintentionally - the leader of the free world.

I find it even sadder that a man whose character is so low has been responsible as President for so many things I approve of. I only wish a man of character would have been the one to do that. Not the current occupant of the White House.

All that being said the microscope the President is being put under now is a not so thinly disguised attempt by his political opponents to find any dirt they can and thereby discredit him. And drag his agenda and accomplishments into the mud right along with him. There is little doubt in my mind about that. 

I continue to believe that the issue that generated all of these extraneous investigations will end in the President’s favor. Even as Cohen testifies about all of the things the President is guilty of, none of it has shown that Trump had anything to do with colluding with the Russians and obstruction of justice. 

My opinion of Democrats for doing this is not much better than it is of the President. I believe that this is all about forwarding their own agenda while destroying the President’s agenda. That said, they were looking for dirt and they found it. Presidential denials notwithstanding.  

As I watch the proceedings in real time I find it amusing to see Republicans are attacking Cohen’s credibility while Democrats do everything they can to support it. Their agendas are written all over their faces.  Which helps explain why Congress has such a low approval by  the American people.

As bad as Cohen’s testimony is, I do not believe the President will be impeached. Nor is it likely that he will be indicted for crimes he has been accused of while he is President. But it will surely be used by Democratic candidates to discredit not just the President, but his policies as well.

And that’s fine. Trump does not deserve a second term in office. But I fear a Democratic victory in 2020 will be devastating to many of the good policies implemented under him. I do not look forward to that outcome. 

On the other hand - it is entirely possible that Trump will win re-election despite all that has been revealed about him during his tenure. Nothing is impossible.  I would have never believed that he could ever win the Presidency even with what we knew about him as a candidate. No one was more surprised than I was when he actually won. With the possible exception of the President himself.

So who are the winners and losers here? I don’t see any winners. But the losers are the American people. My hope is that the President not seek another term and a more honorable candidate runs whose values will continue the policies he has put in place. Polices that I believe are far more beneficial for the American people than those being promised by the far left agenda dominating the Democratic party now.

It  probably won’t happen. But I can dream… can’t I?