Monday, September 09, 2019

The New Kid on the Block

Jason Greenblatt and Avi Berkowitz (TOI)
One of the bright lights in the President’s circle of power is an Orthodox Jew by the name of Jason Greenblatt. I don’t believe that even Trump’s fiercest critics would trash him. They might disagree with his politics. But I don’t believe they would challenge his integrity. Although I’m sure the mere fact that he is a Trump appointee puts his character into question in the minds of some.

The task he was given by the President was - what I believe to be an impossible one. Which is to find a solution to the Israeli Palestinian conflict. I do not believe a solution is possible under current conditions no matter who Israel’s prime minister is. It is a classic case of two antagonists with intractable positions that are incompatible with each other. Not to mention a problematic security situation in Israel that can never allow the territory known as the West Bank to be given over to an enemy that seeks to destroy the Jewish state. One Jew (or a few Jews) at a time via suicide attacks or other sporadic attacks against innocent Israeli civilians. A tactic rewarded by Palestinian leadership with cash payments to the families of the ‘martyred’ attackers. I just don’t think peace is doable under these conditions.

That must have been known to Jason Greenblatt when he took up the challenge. And he accepted it nonetheless knowing just how slim the chances of any of his ideas succeeding might be. Working with 2 other Orthodox Jewish appointees: US ambassador to Israel David Friedman and Trump son in law Jared Kushner, they have come up with a peace plan that I’m sure shares little if anything with the conventional wisdom of past ‘peacemakers’. 

I’m sure that most people will agree that no matter what this plan entails, it will not work. For a variety of reasons. Although I’m equally convinced that the reasons we all might give for that will vary widely.

What I will say however that it was refreshing not to hear the words ‘settlements are an impediment to peace’ even once so far from the Trump administration. Settlements were indeed blamed as the primary impediment to peace. That was the conventional wisdom of both Republican and Democratic administrations of the past. But not the current one. In a recent interview by PBS NewsHour host Judy Woodruff. Greenblatt was asked about the settlements issue. He responded that he doesn’t like the word settlements - preferring the word neighborhoods to describe areas populated by Jews on the West Bank of the Jordan River.

Be that as it may, I repeat. The Trump administration will have no more success in that department than did any of his predecessors. But I don’t blame them from trying something different.

Greenblatt announced that he will leave the administration shortly. He considers his task completed. His peace plan will be revealed shortly after the next Israeli election to be held on September 17th.

Greenblatt’s replacement has been announced. It will be yet another Orthodox Jew -  30 year old Avi Berkowitz. Whose job until now was as an assistant to Jared Kushner – both before and after Kushner switched from being a businessman to being a civil servant. 

Berkowitz attended the Yeshiva of Far Rockaway for high school and two prestigious Yeshivos: Kol Torah in Israel and then Ner Israel in Baltimore. After which he attended Harvard Law School for his law degree.

I can just hear the ridicule from Trump and Kushner detractors. Berkowitz’s youth and association with the ‘unethical and stupid’ Trump/Kushner team makes his appointment laughable. What possible credentials could a 30 year old former Yeshiva student provide that would qualify him for such a lofty position?!  Certainly not his association with Kushner who everybody on the left thinks is an imbecile who got where he did because of his wealthy father and because he married well.

Other than his impressive education, I have no idea about Berkowitz’s qualifications as a peacemaker one way or the other.  But in my view it doesn’t really matter since there is practically no chance for anyone to formulate a peace plan that will be acceptable to both sides - No matter how much of a genius they may be.

What I will say however is that I never thought I would see so many Orthodox Jews being given positions of trust and high power in the Executive Branch of government. I know that those to my left will say that Kushner is not someone that should make us proud. Embarrassed would be the more appropriate feeling. They believe he is an unethical crook with low intelligence riding on the coattails of his father and father in law. And in any case has shown not to be very observant in any Orthodox sense. But the same cannot be said about Greenblatt and Friedman. Whether one agrees with them or not, they are both intelligent Orthodox Jews of  high integrity.

As for Avi Berkowitz, we will have to wait and see ‘who’ he is - and what he has to offer. In the meantime, I offer my sincere congratulations to him and wish him a successful journey in his new role.

It might not make Orthodox Jews on the left proud. I’m pretty sure the opposite is true. They will assume ‘guilt’ by association. Nothing at all to be proud of. Something to be embarrassed about. 

But I don’t feel that way. Despite my feelings about the President’s personal conduct in office - it does make me proud that he has such high opinion of Orthodox Jews. I doubt that any other candidate running for office has any Orthodox Jews in their camp. Nor will they have any in their camp if they should win the Presidency. This has nothing to do with who I might support for President. Just stating what I believe is a fact about all the Democratic candidates. In the meantime I remain proud to be an Orthodox Jew in America.