Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Obama Versus Trump

Two Presidents (CNN)
There is something I want to get off my chest. Which is the following. Despite my support for most of the President’s policies, I long for the days of Barack Obama. This does not mean I would vote for him. I would vote for the man whose polices I agree with most. I just wish it was someone more like Obama who had them.

That said, Obama’s polices were not at all that objectionable. I know this is heresy to my friends on the right. But the truth is that I actually favored some of his policies. Like those that supported the pro choice side of the abortion issue. (Although not to the extent that he supported it.)  I am certainly more supportive of his approach to gun control.

Even his polices with respect to Israel were not all that objectionable. While I did not agree with his view that settlements were the biggest impediment to peace, I understand why he believed that. I also understand his antipathy for the the current Israeli Prime Minister. Other than that (and without getting into details) he was as pro Israel as were any previous administration - if not more so.

And although I was badly disappointed with his abstention at a UN Security Council resolution condemning Israel, allowing it to pass by an otherwise unanimous vote - that was not indicative of his overall support for the Jewish state. Which remained robust in spite of that. 

And although I believed his policy with respect to Iran’s nuclear capabilities were badly mistaken, I nevertheless also believe he thought it was in the best interests of both Israel and the US.

As I have said many times over the course of the last couple of years, I am far more pleased and supportive of the current President’s policies on most issues than I was with those of the former President. 

And yet I wish we could go back to a time when a man who lived the kind of morals that Obama lived was in the Oval Office. The way he has led his life is far more in line with the morals of the Torah than are the way the current occupant has led his life. By a country mile!

Obama was a man of honor, integrity, and dignity. A man that never cheated on his wife and raised two beautiful children with the same values he and his wife had.  He spoke with the kind of elegance and grace that honored the office he held. He was thoughtful and kind – never hitting back at his critics other than with a thoughtful and measured response in disagreement. He was a passionate supporter of his values. 

He did not use profanity. He respected all people regardless of their national origin, race, creed, color, or religion. He did not vilify or ridicule his political opponents and garnered respect from most of them. As he did from the world leaders.  

By contrast the current President is the moral and ethical antithesis of the last President in every possible way. He has dishonored his office in more ways that I can count. On an almost daily basis! And he has embarrassed the country in the process. And frankly it sickens me every time I hear tweet. But...

Like I have said many times, it is policy that counts more than demeanor. Substance over symbolism. (Symbolism - which in Trump’s case makes me sick!) Funny thing is, I sincerely believe the President has a heart. But that does not excuse his overall behavior.

Even though the President has damaged the image of  the office he has inhabited over the last 3 years (hopefully not irreparably) - I do like his polices. A lot. I just wish he were more like the previous President.  I long for the day that we will return to the kind of civil discourse he brought to the table. As well as the dignity and honor he brought to his office. Until then, I guess we will have to continue to suffer the consequences.

There. I feel better now.