Friday, March 13, 2020

Coronavirus and Israel

Rav Gershon Edelstein (Arutz Sheva)
I am happy to report that in order to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), Israel has taken a variety of important measures. One of which is to implement a policy of social distancing and shut down their school system for the time being. At one level, this does not make me happy since education is very important to me. But what is more important is the health of the Jewish people. And with this virus being so contagious it is the much wiser decision to close the schools until the world gets a handle on how to combat this virus.

The question is, what are the religious schools that are unaffiliated with the government doing? Most Charedim send their children to those kinds of schools. Are they practicing social distancing of any kind? The risk associated with not doing that is not limited to the Charedi world. They inevitably interact with the rest of Israel. And with the coronavirus being so of contagious, it places everyone at  risk!

Earlier today, I checked with my son who is a Rosh Chabura (teaches) in the Mir. He has informed me that (if I understand correctly) they are practicing are limiting each of their Batei Medrash (study halls) to a maximum of 100 students. I don’t know what other religious schools are doing. I hope they are following suit.

I have no way of verifying if it is true, but I saw a disturbing notice (in Hebrew) that supposedly contained a Halachic ruling by R’ Chaim Kainevsky and R’ Gershon Edlestein. These two elders of Israel supposedly said that day schools and Yeshivos should not be disrupted. Students should continue their studies as usual. Preventing the study of Torah, they say, is far more dangerous than the coronavirus! 

I honestly cannot believe they said that! The Gemarah is very clear on the issue of health versus Halacha:  Chamira Sakanta Me’Isurah (Chulin 10a)!  Which basically means when there is a conflict between ones health and violating Halacha, we must choose health and violate Halacha. This is based on the Torah’s admonition that we are supposed to be extremely careful about guarding our lives.  

Which is the reason – I suppose that the same R’ Kanievsky issued a notice last week that those who are quarantined because they might have the virus, should NOT go to Shul. Even though it meant missing the biblical requirement to erase the memory of Amalek (Parshas Zachor) which is read every year at this time.

This is why I tend to doubt that this Psak was issued by either of these two rabbinic leaders. Can it be that that they are willing to risk the health of so many students,  teachers, and others?! If true, it would seem to be the height of irresponsibility to ignore that Gemarah and put so many people at risk.  Besides – staying home and out of the classroom does not prevent studying Torah at home, with a parent or brother. Or even by oneself.

 I hope it isn’t true. Because if it is I don’t get it!

Hat tip  Marty Bluke