Sunday, May 31, 2020

What Virus?!

NIH NIAID Director Anthony Fauci (NIH)
I took another walk yesterday, the second day of Shavuos (Shabbos). It was a beautiful day in Chicago. Not a cloud in the sky. Which was as blue as I’ve ever seen it.

My day began as it has for the least few weeks with my wife and I Davening in a manner that mimicked Tefilah b’Tzibur. During which I peeked out the window and glimpsed a few men actually going to Shul. Some wearing masks. Some not. Strangely enough I was not as jealous of them as I thought I would be. I guess that might be because Yeshivas Brisk’s Minyan (where I Daven) has not reopened yet.

About midway through the day, My wife and I thought it would be a good idea to visit one of my daughters and her family while wearing masks and keeping at least 6 feet apart. The moment we ventured outside and saw how blue the sky was, how clean and refreshing the air felt, I asked myself, ‘What virus?!’ There was absolutely no indication whatsoever that there was anything at all out there that could hurt us. It felt like the perfect day!

But then I immediately thought about the over 100,000 people that have died from this invisible ‘bug’. Just moments before I left the house I had finished reading a story about a beloved 54 year old Rosh Yeshiva who quickly succumbed to the virus, and the way it affected his parents. Both of whom had contracted the disease as well. While both of them survived, the father suffered so badly at the time of his son’s death that his wife did not inform him about it until a few days later. Needless to say neither of them were with their son when he died, nor were they able to attend his funeral.

Almost every day the electronic media features stories like this about a variety of people of all ages. Otherwise healthy people with the virus dying alone with none of their loved ones at their side. Yesterday, it became a bit more personal as I read this story about one of ‘our own’. I can only imagine how many times this has happened in the observant community. This is of course not to say that every life isn’t precious. Of course it is. There are a lot of people suffering unimaginable pain this way. But when it hits closer to home, you feel it more.

So there I was just having walked out the door and having this double feeling. On the one hand wondering what the commotions was all about. And on the other hand fearing that something like this will hit even closer to home. Or that my wife and I could get that sick and possibly even die. While we are both in excellent health, that obviously doesn’t mean that getting the virus won’t be deadly.  It is with that mixed emotion that my wife and I ventured forward.

What I observed on the way among the observant Jews from all segments of Orthodoxy that live in my neighborhood - was what seemed to be an almost complete abandonment of the precautions urged upon us by health officials. Precautions designed to prevent an unintentional spike in the disease. 

People were out in droves. Some people wore masks. Most did not. There were tons of people walking to and fro, many of them in groups. Most not really paying attention to the required six feet of social distancing.  

The feeling I got was that everyone was just fed up with being cooped up in their homes for the last 3 months, saw the beautiful weather, threw caution to the wind and decided they were just going to go out and enjoy the day. Perhaps they had subconsciously had the same thoughts I did initially without the second thoughts I had.

I am not here to criticize anyone. I don’t really blame anyone for having this feeling. At the same time I worry about the consequences. That being said, my hope is that - as the number of people dying from, or test positive for the virus decreases; and as the number of people that have had the disease and have fully recovered,  are now immune and no longer contagious.  And that the chances of the rest of us contracting the virus has decreased. 

Additionally, if COVID-19 is seasonal the way other forms of coronaviruses are, then what I saw yesterday will be of little consequence. Hopefully no one there was unknowingly infected. And all will be well. 

I’m just not sure we are there yet. Either way it is far better to err on the side of caution and follow the precautions recommended by health of officials. There is still not enough known about it to even be sure whether it is in fact seasonal. And even if it is, there is the prospect that it will spike in the fall when others seasonal viruses tend to spike. 

All Shuls should be opening a couple of weeks. But the Shul experience will be nothing like it was before this virus hit. The same rules put in place by those who decided to open up early will surely be the case for the rest of the Shuls. I assume that masks. social distancing, Plexiglas dividers at the Bimah, limiting who and how many can attend will be the order of the day,  This will be the new normal for a awhile.  At least until a safe and effective vaccine is available for all of us.

On that score, I saw an interview with the NIAID director of the NIH, Dr. Anthony Fauci. He said that he was optimistic that a vaccine will be ready by the end of the year. A lot sooner than what is normally expected when new vaccines are developed. I think this might be because of the intensity with which researchers are treating this and the unprecedented number of researchers doing it all over the world.

This is very hopeful news. When that happens, we will probably be able to go back to normal. Although even then there will be some things that this pandemic will have permanently altered. What these might be remains to be seen. In the meantime -  I know it doesn’t seem like it but - we must treat this disease with the seriousness it deserves. Enough people have gotten sick. And enough have died!