Thursday, March 09, 2023

None Are So Blind - As Those Who Will Not See

As of this moment, there are 143 comments to the previous post. Many of which take issue with what I said. In some cases arguing vigorously against what they think my views are. Or accusing me of not understanding what is at stake here.

I half expected to see this kind of pushback. But none of those arguments change anything I said. In fact I do not disagree with what many of these commentators are saying. Even the angry ones. 

Which leads me to one conclusion. That none of those many commentators understood a single word I said. It is as though they think that I am supporting the reform as presented by the current government. Let me try again. Only this time in bold letters:

I do not in anyway support what the government is proposing at all.  Not even a little bit.

It just shifts power away from one branch of government and hands it over to the another. What I do support is reform that will make Israel a more balanced democracy.

This has nothing to do with the motives of the current government. Whether nefarious or not. Nothing to do with whether Netanyahu is pushing this to save his own hide.  

NOTHING!

Those are legitimate but separate issues. My issue is only the need for change.  Again - it is absolutley NOT about doing it the way the current government is proposing to do it

Furthermore, my criticism of the protesters is that they are protesting any reform at all. They do not want anything to change. They like the imbalance - which is mostly in their favor. 

If they were to instead be clamoring for changes that the majority of Israelis agree are needed - to make the system more balanced, I would be right there with them.

Not that anyone will understand what I am saying now any better that they did before. But I figured it was worth a try.