Friday, September 15, 2023

5783 - Reflections and a Prayer

Rosh Hashana 5784 (USA Today)
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair. 

I was reluctant to quote the opening paragraph of Charles Dickens’ ‘A Tale of Two Cities’ because of his apparent antipathy for the Jewish people. Which was demonstrated in his novel ‘Oliver Twist’ by way of the antisemitic stereotypes he used for his character, Fagin. 

But as we are about to enter the new year of 5784, and reflect on 5783, the year about to end, I could not think of a more apt description of our world today. Whether in religion or in politics  - we live in epoch of extreme foolishness and incredulity unlike any other in my lifetime. Hoping for a better ‘spring’ next year while living in the ‘despair’ of – what seems like endless, unsolvable world crises. 

On a personal note, it was the same for me. On the plus side I had the privilege of experiencing the birth of a great-granddaughter, the Bar Mitzvah of a grandson, the wedding of a niece, the wedding of another grandson, and multiple graduation ceremonies for other grandchildren. And the blessing of continued good health as well -  all of which I wish to express tremendous Hakoras HaTov to HaShem - gratitude to God!

But it was a tough year in other respects. I lost 3 people very dear to me: my closest friend, my brother-in-law, and my Mechutan. And the occurrence of a freak accident that broke my wife’s ankle. 

One of the things that most impacts me about aging is losing people dear to me as well as other friends that I knew well who passed away too. They were all approximately my age (76).  Even though they had health issues, I did not except any of them to die. No one did. Not the suddenly deceased. Not even their families who knew well their condition. 

All of which makes me think about my own mortality, and realize just how unsecure my future is. That is of course the point of these upcoming days of awe. None of us are secure. Not about our health or our mortality. The older I get, the more aware I am this. Living out the year should not be taken for granted no matter how heathy we are. No one knows what the future holds... who shall live and who shall die!  This is something we all need to think about as we enter the new year.

My hope and prayer is for a healthy, happy, and blessed new year for all my many readers - and for all of  Klal Yisroel. 

K’siva V’chasimsa Tova