Monday, January 15, 2007

Bleacher Bums

How wonderful it would be if just the slightest bit of tolerance could be achieved in the world of Torah. I am sorry to say that there is precious little of it. And no where is this more evident than in the city of Bnei Brak.

I love Bnei Brak. For 18 years, when my parents lived there, I considered it my second home... my home in Israel. I used to visit them quite frequently when they lived there and I came to know many of my parents’ friends, mostly Boyaner Chasidim whose acts of Chesed towards my parents were nothing short of superlative. And whenever I came into my father’s Boyaner Shteible, I was welcomed with open arms as “one of them”. Truly a warm and loving people who put my father on a pedestal... treating him like a near icon, ...all because he was a Zaken and connected to the Rizhiner Chasidus of pre-war Europe (Boyan is part of the Rizhiner Chasidus). I can tell you stories that would amaze you of people there who were totally selfless.

I loved that city and whenever I am in Israel, I make a point to visit that town and take a walk down R. Akiva Street ...which is why the current ridiculous edict with respect to Tznius and the actions of the zealots is so upsetting.

I can’t say I’m surprised. The city fathers there apparently do not have any clue as to anyone else’s existence except themselves. They view the world through their own myopic lenses. Their level of Tznius is all that matters. It makes no difference to them what the letter of the law is. They are going to determine for everyone what is acceptable clothing. As such they have started their own Hechsher Organization. Not for food, but for clothing. They now will certify which stores are acceptable for shopping for members of their community.

I’m sorry. This is pure politics. And it has nothing to do with religion. A denim dress that is fully Tznius in every respect cannot halachically be assured. But that is precisely what they are doing. They will not certify a store that sells denim clothing. And as if that isn’t enough they also have a Tznius Patrol modeled on the one in Meah Shearim. If they see someone in the street with a piece of clothing they don’t like, they pour bleach on it! True it is an underground group that is doing it. But who and what inspired them to do it? One must also assume that it is a religiously motivated act by Charedi radicals! And they now feel justified by the new edicts of Tznius.

Of course there are going to be those who will say, “These people aren’t representative of Charedim, don’t lump us all together!” My response is that I don’t. These people are indeed radicals. But why do they exist in the way that they do? Why ...this form of radical destructive behavior which is Asuur min HaTorah?! Not only do they think what they are doing is Mutar, they think it a righteous act! They are protecting the honor and dignity of the “Daughters of Israel”!

And so it goes... yet another nail in the coffin of Achdus. And another blow to normalcy. To these people it is far more important to uphold the politcs of their Charedi standards than it is to uphold the dignity of those with whom they disagree Hashkafically. ...so much so that they have to Assur perfectly Tznius clothing because of the politics of those who usually wear them. Denim, you see, is usually worn by worn by women in Religious Zionist circles.

This kind of false zealotry breeds the kind of radical extremism that cause people to throw bleach on the clothing of innocent women. (Not to mention the fact that bleach is a dangerous form of hydrochloric acid and could be very harmful if accidentally splashed in the eyes. And can cause serious skin rashes). This is not a step towards Kedusha but a step away form it.

Of course the standards of Tznius that are now required are not just about denim. It is also every possible Chumra one can imagine, including colors that are too bright and the like.

This is the politics of the right in Israel. They not only want to impose unreasonable parameters for education of men. and women, they want to control what they wear. And that gives the Kaanaim the license to in act in violent and destructive ways.

Eizahu Chacham? HaRoeh Es HaNolad. Can anyone really claim that this is our Gedolim at their finest?