Monday, July 09, 2007

Apology

It seems that I may have been in error about the following post as it was first written. I have therefore adjusted it accordingly. It was an honest mistake based on the fact that it was reported in a column that deals with rabbinic leaders in the Torah world and the name was identical to that of a famous Rosh HaYeshiva. Since the columnist in question is an Orthodox Rabbi himself, I had no reason to question it’s veracity. It is quite possible that the Ephraim Wachsman of this column although an author of a new Sefer, is not the same Ephraim Wachsman who is the Rosh HaYeshiva in Monsey. If so, I apologize for the error.

But I do not want to let of the columnist who reported this story completely off the hook. He had an obligation to make clear that the subject of his article was not the same person as a famous Rosh HaYeshiva of the same name. In not making that distinction it has led who knows how many people to make the same mistake I did. This is unfair to both of these two individuals, if they are indeed two. The post I originally wrote was based on that erroneous understanding. The point of the essay is the same but with a slightly different slant.

As for my obligation to verify the facts of what I comment on, I am not a journalist. I do not have the means nor the time to do that. I rely on the integrity of the journalists who I comment upon to live up to their journalistic duty. Most journalists in major publications are responsible that way. Mistakes are certainly made by all and sometimes things are misreported. I’m sorry if my commentary is sometimes based on erroneous reporting. I do the best I can to comment honestly from my own perspective on things as they are reported by reputable journailsts and I try to admit mistakes when they happen. I have done so now.

Will this happen again? I hope not but it probably will and when it does I will make the necessary corrections.

Once again I apologize to anyone who was hurt by my erroneous commentary. It was not intentional.

The corrected post is now up.