Monday, September 10, 2007

9/11 heroism and sarifice The Story of Abe Zelmanowitz

I have often wondered if I would be able to risk or sacrifice my life in order to save another Jew. And in light of the righteous gentiles who risked and in some cases gave up their lives to save a Jew would I have been able to do the same, had the tables been turned. Could I have risked my life to save a gentile life? Any life? Is there anyone among us who would? The answer is yes. His name was Abe Zelmanowitz. He was recognized as the hero and singled out by President Bush.

One can raise many religious issues about what this man did, but it all boils down to one thing. This Orthodox Jew was hero who bought himself a very bright spot in Olam Haba.

I'm not sure if I ever mentioned this story but if I did it certainly bears repeating. This poignant 3 minute video will make you tear. On this, the anniversary eve of 9/11 when radical Islam attacked the United States and brought down the World Trade Center, I present a story of sacrifice, of heroism, and of Kiddush HaShem. I present the story of Abe Zelmanowitz.