Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Never Again



Wu-Tang Clan is a hardcore hip hop group. According to Wikipedia it is one of the most successful hip hop groups in history. I never heard of them. Personally I can’t stand that genre. Most of that kind of ‘music’ that I’ve ever had the misfortune of listening to is vulgar and tasteless. I’m not even sure it qualifies as music.

But I do love music in general and I am always open to try any kind of music – no matter what the genre is. There are always exceptions that surprise me. Wu-Tang Clan has done that. The above video is performed by a group who –one would assume - has little if any concern about the Jewish people or their tragic recent history. But Wu-Tang Clan didn’t just surprise me. They shocked me. It is very powerful and made my eyes water. Once again proving that stereotypes can be wrong.

November is the month that many people believe the holocaust actually began in earnest. Kristallnacht – or the Night of Broken Glass happened during this month. This makes it a propitious time for viewing this video.

Is hip hop an appropriate way of dealing with such an issue? I would not have thought so. But I defy anyone to watch this four minute video in its entirety and not be moved. That it was done in hip hop style by a group like this makes it all the more powerful.