Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanking God for America and its Bounty

As I do every year at this time of year - I want to publicly express my gratitude to this great country on this special day. I am truly blessed to be alive and living in America.

Many people may not realize that Thanksgiving was originally based on Sukkos – or more specifically Shemini Atzeres. The idea was to be to thankful to God for a bountiful harvest. The Pilgrims were very much oriented toward what they call the Old Testament – our Torah.

It is a totally secular holiday today. I can think of no better day to express Hakaras HaTov than on Thanksgiving. And no better way - for those who choose to do so - than in the shared American experience of families eating turkey in their homes all across America. This is what my Rebbe, Rav Ahron and his illustrious brother, the Rav did. So whether you are eating turkey or not, celebrate the day.

Happy Thanksgiving.