Sunday, July 21, 2013

Poll Results and Analysis

First, I’d like to thank all of those who participated in my very unscientific poll. As one commenter pointed out this particular poll was heavily subject to error for a number of reasons. One of them being the following. 

As this blog is somewhat controversial, there are people who would like nothing better than to shut it down… and will stop at nothing to do so. Those people are not beyond cheating and undermining the results. So even though they might be Jewish they could have voted as a gentile and purposely rated this blog very low (D or F). Just about as soon as the poll went up, I very quickly received one D and one F in the gentile poll, I suspect that these were planted there by cheaters… but I have no way of knowing that for certain.

It is however gratifying that all other rating were either A or B (7 As and 1 B). Even if I allow for the fact that all 10 respondents were honest, that still gives me an 80% favorable rating. Which seems to corroborate the very gracious gentile lady whose e-mail (excerpted in the previous post) was along those lines. Although not scientific, I have a sense that this is the way most gentiles see this blog in positive ways. Does that mean I fulfill my mandate as a Jew to be a light unto the nations? I don’t know. But I hope it is at least a slight indication that I do.

The same can be said about Jewish voters. The vast majority of respondents (84%) gave this blog a very favorable rating of A (53%) or B(31)

An earlier poll I had along these lines had a greater number of respondents. I’m not sure why. I have more readers now than I did then. I typically get over 1000 unique hits (over 3500 hits) daily. Many of those do not read my blog daily. So that it is possible that my readership base numbers well into the thousands. I am very humbled by that. But gratified just the same.

The only thing I was a bit disappointed in here is that there were so few comments explanations of why people voted as they did and where they were coming from.


Other than that the primary purpose of this poll was to see what gentiles think of this blog. And to try and get a sense of the percentage that read it. 10 gentiles versus the 70 Jews makes the percentage of gentile readers much higher than I imagined… about 14%. I still believe that is high and does not reflect the real numbers. Of the thousands of readers I have that only about 80 responded and the fact that cheating on this poll was so easy, makes me discount that 14% percentage. 

But I do think it shows that there are more than a few readers here that are not Jewish which means we have an obligation to never do anything to misrepresent ourselves… that as an Am HaNivchar – God’s Chosen people  that we make sure that our message  to not veer from our obligation to present the beauty of the Torah to all.