Monday, February 29, 2016

If the Election Were Held Today

Yes, that's Trump with his friends - Bill and Hillary
According to the latest polls (and much to my chagrin) it looks like Donald Trump will win most of the primaries in the 12 states having them tomorrow, Super Tuesday. Which means his path to the nomination will be pretty hard to undermine. Not that it is impossible. But after awhile the handwriting starts appearing o the wall.

I still hold out hope that Rubio can somehow overcome the odds and  prove the polls wrong. I also hope that I will win the lottery (...not that I buy lottery tickets). Hope is not enough. But as I said, there is a chance.

In my view, at this point the only hope for Rubio is a brokered convention. Which will happen if none of the candidates get enough delegates to guarantee the nomination. After the first ballot, delegates are free to vote for whomever they choose. And that's when the candidates start lobbying them for their support.

But should Trump get enough delegates, then it's all over but the shouting. In my wildest dreams I would have never predicted that a man whose  racists and sexist comments are so repulsive; a man who just yesterday refused to disavow the KKK - could be so popular with mainstream Republicans. Nor would I have ever predicted that successful mainstream Republican politicians like Chris Christie and Jeff Sessions would have endorsed him. But they did. As do at least 49% of Republican voters. That - according to the latest poll - is the percentage of  Republicans that would vote for him if the election were held today.

I still can't believe it, And yet, there it is.  I have devised a little poll. It is located on the right margin. It asks a very simple question with only two possible responses. Who would you vote for? Hillary Clinton, or Donald Trump.

I realzie of course that my readers may not be a representative sample of the American electorate. But I am still curious to know what my readers think. Does Trump actually have a chance at becoming President? Am I wrong in my prediction that he will be soundly defeated in a landslide - as I said a few days ago? I am beginning to think a Trump Presidency may actually happen. So I ask my readership, what say you? Who would you vote for between Trump and Clinton? The poll closes in about a week.