Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Prejudice - And Recognizing the Dignity of Difference

Boro Park on March 20, 2020 (TOI)
There has been a spike in antisemitism in this country - some of which blames the spread of the coronavirus on Jews. But I do not believe for a moment that Americans have changed. The vast majority are as tolerant and accepting now as they were before. I believe  Judaism is still the most admired religion on America.

What we are witnessing instead is that more antisemties are coming out of the closet now and expressing those beliefs. Some violently. Some people need to find a scapegoat - someone to blame for their problems. For antisemites it has always been us.  And just like the ‘Black Plague’ of the 14th century was blamed on us then so too is COVID-19, today’s ‘Black Plague’ blamed on us now.

What is interesting is where their antisemitic focus lies. It seems to be focused almost entirely on Chasidic communities like Boro Park and Monsey. Not too much antisemitism is directed to the Jews of Teaneck or Lawrence. The question is why Boro Park and Monsey and not Teaneck of Lawrence?

The obvious reason is because the number of COVID cases is proportionally greater in places like Boro Park and Monsey. Residents there are accused of not adhering to public safety policies and thereby spreading the disease.  

But I believe that prejudice is at work here, too. A prejudice based on how different they look.  Certainly the spread cannot be blamed on how people look. That is absurd. But that is how prejudice works. But the primary reason these areas have more cases is because they have a much greater population density. A highly contagious disease will cause more cases where populations are dense. 

But this hasn’t stopped antisemites from thinking the worst. Not only the non Jewish antisemites. But even the Jewish ones. And even some Orthodox Jewish ones.  

Fact is I admit to harboring a little of my own prejudices here. Not because I want to or think it’s right. It is not right. But I can't help the way I feel when I see someone walking down the street with the customary look of a Chasid. I sometimes wonder why they have to look like that? Why must they look so odd... so different from anyone else?

When these thoughts cross my mind, I immediately feel guilty. Because the Chasidim I know are some of the finest people I have ever met. People I admire. People whose Midos (character traits) I want to emulate. And have taught my children to emulate.

I actually understand why they choose to look that way. As Jews they purposely want to differentiate themselves from the non Jewish world. They want to emulate one of the things that rescued our ancestors in Egypt. Who – according to Chazal sank to 49th level of spiritual impurity – the lowest level that still allowed them to merit redemption. One of the two merits mentioned by Chazal is that they maintained there own unique way of dress – and did not emulate the dress of their host culture.  Another reason they look that way is because by looking so different, they are less tempted to assimilate.

But that does not help the way I sometimes feel when I see them. And I suspect I am not alone among Orthodox Jews that harbor prejudice based on difference. 

I know that a lot of fellow Orthodox Jews critical of Chasidim will push back and say that it has nothing to do with how different they look. It has to do with how they act.

Granted there are some Chasidim that act in reprehensible ways. But that is true in any demographic. Religious or not. Jewish or not.

It might be true that their isolationist attitudes can be in part blamed for how badly some Chasidim behave. But at the same time I do not believe the majority are like that – even as I harbor a bit of prejudice myself.

When an entire community is painted with a broad brush, I suspect that at least subconsciously it is because of embarrassment about how odd - how different they look - even while claims will be made about ‘some of their best friends’ being Chasidim - as if to dispute the notion there is any prejudice.

I think we all have to be honest about our motives when assessing blame. I believe it is a mixed bag of truth and prejudice at the core. Based at least in part on appearances that might embarrass some of us.   

We need work on purging these feelings. And recognize the dignity that differences can make. After all, are we not all different than the rest of the world? Is it not our duty to be different? Are we not  an ‘Am Levadod Yishkon’ a people alone and apart - chosen by God to be His treasured people?

We can differ in exactly what that means. And in how we are to express those differences. But being different from other nations is what God demands of us, Isn’t it?

While it is true that this is mostly about serving God in the special ways He wants us too… and to be the most ethical people on earth. Perhaps Chasidim believe that looking different is part of that. Who is to say they are wrong? 

We all need to do our level best to rid ourselves of any prejudice that does not recognize the dignity of those differences.