Monday, September 06, 2021

5781 - Another Bad COVID Year

Last year on the eve of Rosh Hashana, it seemed inconceivable to me that we would still be in the middle of a COVID pandemic by the end of the year. God riddance to 5780, I thought. 

Last year a lot of people got sick; and a lot of people died. I had really hoped that 5781 would bring us a brighter future. Alas, there are about as many people getting sick and dying this year as there was last year. The difference is that the virus mutated into a more contagious form and is affecting mostly the unvaccinated.

That is good news for those of us that got fully vaccinated and bad news for those of us that did not. On the other hand it also means that with so many people getting the virus, it has a much better chance to mutate again into something even more contagious and dangerous.  That might even be resistant to the vaccine. 

So as great as the vaccine has been for so many of us, sadly, this pandemic is far from over. Ironically - because of vaccine hesitancy, I am not as optimistic this year as I was last year. There are just too many unvaccinated people that got - and will get the virus and get seriously ill.  

That said, I pray that somehow things will change and enough people will get vaccinated so that COVID will no longer be an issue. Unfortunately we are far off from that as of now. 

For me, this year has not had a great ending. I am still in pain from my bicycle accident. And it is going to take a while before things improve significantly. 

Nevertheless I wish to express my sincere Hakoras Hatov to God for giving me the overall good health and strength to see this through.

 K’siva V’Chasima Tova to all!