Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Some Pre-Tisha B’Av Ramblings

Jews fighting Jews
It’s hard. Much harder than Yom Kippur. (At least for me.)

Tisha B’Av is meant to be hard. We are supposed to feel the pain of losing the most important structure in all of Jewish history - the Beis HaMikdash, the Holy Temple in Jerusalem, God’s residence (so to speak) here on earth. The Sages therefore gave us a program to follow on the anniversary of the destruction of both Holy Temples—a day dedicated to reflecting upon all the tragedies that have befallen us throughout our long exile.

We are, in fact, still living in that exile. Despite our return to the Holy Land and the tremendous success and growth we have attained, our redemption will not occur until the Messianic era, when the Temple is rebuilt.

And yet, it’s difficult to mourn a loss that happened thousands of years ago to ancestors long since gone. Honestly, I have a hard time doing that because I never personally experienced the glory of the Temple. For me, it’s ancient history—something I had no part in.

I suspect that if most people were honest, they would say the same. Which is why the Sages wanted us to experience the pain, at least in some measure, by requiring us (among other things) to fast, sit on the floor, and refrain from any enjoyable activity on this day. Even Torah study is forbidden.

We force ourselves into a state of mourning in order to better appreciate the magnitude of what was lost when the Beis HaMikdash was destroyed.

The “sins” of our ancestors are not our sins. I would argue that - with some notable exceptions - today’s observant Jewry is far more devout than the generation whose sins led to the destruction of the First Temple. That generation was guilty of the widespread commission of the three cardinal sins: idolatry, sexual immorality, and murder.

The Second Temple, however, was destroyed because of a chain of events that began when one prominent Jew publicly insulted and humiliated another Jew for no good reason. We refer to that as Sinas Chinam - baseless hatred.

I doubt that the vast majority of observant Jewry today is involved in any meaningful way in the three cardinal sins. But I do believe we are still guilty of publicly insulting and humiliating one another. Now more than ever.

And it’s happening at the highest levels…

To continue reading - and/or to comment on this post  - click on this link: substack. You must subscribe to receive new posts. It's easy and it's free.  

Disqus