Monday, September 28, 2026

Why There is No Unity

To say this depresses me is an understatement.

I am often reprimanded for caring about the Charedi world, as if I should only be concerned with Jews who agree with me.

That is not me. I still believe in Jewish unity, regardless of how futile it sometimes feels to even hope for it. I care for all of my brothers and sisters—Charedi and secular, even those far to the left and far right. I believe there can be a meeting of the minds if there is enough goodwill between us.

And this is why I am so grieved by what I just read in Rationalist Judaism.

Rabbi Natan Slifkin posted a letter that he sent to Jonathan Rosenblum regarding his most recent column, entitled “Where is the Unity?” Therein, Jonathan laments the fact that the Charedi world on the one hand, and the secular and Religious Zionist worlds on the other, can’t seem to find unity among themselves.

I have made the same lament many times. Jonathan explains what he believes are the reasons for this and assigns blame to both sides for this impasse.

But Natan faults Jonathan’s for making claims about the Charedi world fall short of reality.

I am not going to address that here. Although most people know my views about the lack of secular education for men in the Charedi world, what really got to me is the man featured on the cover of the Mishpacha issue in which Jonathan’s column appears. And if there is anything that divides the Charedi and secular/Religious Zionist worlds more than this, I would like to know what that is.

The cover story is about Rav Bunim Schreiber. Therin heis given a tribute for the tenacity and resilience he has shown in his fight with cancer. It is a heroic lesson in courage—not allowing any disability, even one as deadly as cancer, to detract from teaching Torah - his mission in life. It is indeed an inspiring story.

But as Natan reminds us, this is the same individual who, after the October 7th massacre, when IDF soldiers had started losing life and limb in Gaza, gave the following directive to his students:

“The soldiers who draft are nebuchs. I don’t think anyone drafts willingly… if there was no obligatory draft, nobody would join, other than perhaps a few crazy Mizrochniks…. There’s no need to express gratitude to soldiers fighting in Gaza any more than to street cleaners... Who says that there needs to be a relationship with the injured? What’s your connection to them? Why do you need to have a relationship with them? ...A ‘community tragedy’ is not if 1200 people were killed… a community tragedy is one that affects everyone.... Lehavdil, the Meron tragedy, you feel connected because they were your friends, they were your family, they were your people.... For the entity called ‘The State of Israel,’ regarding which it is superfluous to talk about our opinion, there is no ‘acknowledgement’ and no ‘good.’”

I don’t even know where to begin.

What kind of Jewish leader has absolutely no feeling for fellow Jews fighting and dying in pursuit of protecting their fellow Jews…

To continue reading - and/or to comment on this post - click on this link: substack. You must subscribe to receive new posts. It's easy and it's free.   

Disqus