Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Arrogance of Daas T.O.R.A.H.

I do not know the gentleman who goes by the pseudonym of T.O.R.A.H. Nor do I know any of the other people who comment on my blog who use pseudonyms. And although I would prefer that people use their real names because that would entail a bit more civility, I understand the desire for anonymity. There is a benefit to it. There are consequences for their words. Controversial thoughts and questions would not be expressed. Anonymity gives one the courage to state their convictions and allows for a full expression thereof.

But it also shows one’s true character. There is no holding back. If one is of unrefined character or has no sense of Kavod HaBriyos, they can truly speak their mind and be disparaging in the process. And if an individual pseudonym gets pegged too negatively, well… just change the name and start over. No consequences for controversial opinions. No consequences for arrogance. I would call it the “Walter Mitty” effect. An individual can become something he normally is not. Depending on one's character, a shy and reticent personality can become a clever and engaging one or a boisterous and obnoxious one. Ad hominems? No problem.

On the negative side, since there are no consequences for what one says no matter how outrageous, one can use any manner of expression no matter how derogatory or degrading. Such individuals, by showing their true character lose nothing. Normal inhibitions are completely shed and the true person comes out. In fact I could argue that anonymity in the blog world is better at revealing true character than through the B’Kiso, B’Kaso, uV’Koso that the Gemarah in Brachos tells us about revealing true character.

This brings me back to Mr. T.O.R.A.H. There are some people that are so arrogant that they choose names like T.O.R.A.H. or Meishiv K’Halacha. As if to say that only they represent Torah and Halacha. They have the inside track. It is their view and no one else’s that count.

It is interesting to note that both these gentleman are very much in the Charedi camp. I don’t know how either of them would describe themselves, but it is obvious from their comments that they reflect the most right wing of Charedi viewpoints. They can deny that they are Charedi in their Hashkafa all they wish but their words speak louder than any protest they may make. But I suspect that they consider themselves Charedi anyway. The arrogance of their comments is often quite evident. It is they and those with like views whom they claim represent Torah and Halacha, and no one else. By using a names like T.O.R.A.H. or Meishiv K'Halacha the implication is that those who disagree with them are arguing against the Torah itself. Of course that is not true at all. In fact, for the record, I know many Charedim that agree more with me than they do with either of these gentlemen. And some of the names would be quite recognizable and perhaps even surprising to many who read this blog.

Now I have no problem with these people continuing to comment on my blog. In fact I welcome them and encourage them to continue. Debate brings clarity. But the arrogance is clear and must be noted. And it should further be noted that their views are not the exclusive views of Torah and Halacha, even though they have claimed it to be so in some of their comments. (More arrogance). They are only one very narrow right wing point of view.

I don’t recall any Centrist using a pseudonym like that. I think that is probably because we Centrists know that our Hashkafos are but one perspective. We know that we have no monopoly of Torah and Halacha. We know that there are other legitimate perspectives, even if the are Charedi. Do I think my views are superior? Of course I do. I wouldn’t have those views if I didn’t.

But I respect the views of the right even though I sometimes disagree and question those views. And when I note that sometimes bad behavior is found to be exclusively by Charedi participants as was the case in the recent anti gay parade riots, I point that out. But I have equally criticized my share of bad behavior on the part of Religious Zionists and the Modern Orthodox as well. Criticism is not bashing. It is criticism. It would be nice if people like T.O.R.A.H. knew the difference. It is meant to improve our behavior as Jews, not as any subset of Jews. In the end there is no real subset. We are all one people trying to do the will of God the best way we know how.