Sunday, November 05, 2006

Chalk One up for the Good Guys

Informed sources have told me that Rabbi Ephraim Wachsman will not be addressing the upcoming Agudah convention. It is not 100% confirmed, but I am told that Rabbi Yissocher Frand, of Ner Israel will be speaking in his place. If this is true it is a huge victory for moderation and Achdus.

I am personally glad to hear this news and hope that more steps like this follow. The time to end exclusionism is long overdue. There is far more to be gained by inclusiveness. How wonderful it would be if we could all learn from all of each other in friendship, harmony, and respect even if we might disagree …all in the spirit of Elu VeElu.

To paraphrase astronaut Neil Armstrong, this is one small step for Agudah, but one large step for Klal Yisroel. We’ll have to wait and see, whether it happens and, if it does, whether this is indeed the beginning of more inclusive policy and less a divisive one on the part of Agudah.

I am not sure what generated this change of heart. I suspect it was more internal, than external pressure. But who ever brought it about, I salute them!

One more thing. I want to make clear that I do not Chas VeShalom wish Rabbi Wachsman any ill. My opposition to his speaking at Agudah does not diminish my respect for him as a Marbitz Torah. I instead wish Rabbi Wachsman only a bright and glorious future in doing so.