Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Manipulating Gedolim

I’m not exactly sure what happened here. But once again I find myself questioning the pronouncements of Gedolim and the circumstances surrounding them. I say this knowing full well that the Gedolim in question here are of the highest integrity. And in the case of the Gadol involved in this issue, Rav Elyashiv, I know few other Rabbanim alive today that come anywhere near him in Gadlus. Perhaps Rav Ovadia Yosef. Rav Elyashiv is one of the last remaining Gedolim of what I like to call the “last generation” of Gedolim whom I believe belong to another era… an era that I think history will record as distinct and separate from ours as was the era of Rishonim from Achronim.

And this makes it very difficult for me to question the pronouncement he made. But, I have no choice. The issue involved is so difficult …and so demanding of finding a solution that it pains me every time I hear about someone thwarting attempts to do so.

For those not familiar with it, there was a conference organized by a group calling themselves “The International Council of Jewish Women”. They represent 52 women's organizations in 47 countries. The purpose of the conference was to deal with the problems of Agunos. It was a long time in the making and was to take place last week. I’m not sure whether it did or didn’t. But is was going to be a landmark occasion because Chief Rabbi Shlomo Amar had agreed to participate in the conference.

As I understand it, this is the first time a major rabbinic figure of international stature had agreed to do so. It is also my understanding that his participation entailed no commitment on his part except to try and find new Halachic means for solving these problems. The purpose was exploratory. It was intended to be a kind of brainstorming about how to solve one of the most serious problems affecting the Torah world today.

But in a last minute decision (it seems) Rav Elayshiv asked Rabbi Amar to cancel his participation.

Why? What possible reason could there be for doing that? As I understand it, Rav Elayshiv gave his blessing to the event up until the last minute at which time he was persuaded to withdraw his support. What happened? I don’t know and can only speculate. But if history is any teacher, and considering that he changed his mind in the last minute, I am fairly certain that he was manipulated into to doing so by his Askanim.

This is very sad development. I’m not sure where this falls on the scale of importance in Torah Judaism. Nor do I know whether this cancellation is of the same significance as the ban on Rabbi Slifkin’s books on the science and Torah, or the ban on Rabbi Kaminetsky’s book on Gedolim. But the issue of Agunos is huge. The impact of their situation upon Agunos and their families can be devastating and last a lifetime. And there is the obvious problems of creating Mamzerim in cases where Rabbanim Paskin improperly in these cases.

I’m not exactly sure why these Asakanim do it. Perhaps they are L’shma. I don’t know. But the damage being done to Klal Yisroel in this instance as well as the others I mentioned cannot be glossed over. Nor can the damage being done to Kavod HaTorah by these kinds of edicts, especially when they are last minute. Whatever the motives of those who persuaded Rav Elyashiv to rescind his support was… the damage done probably far outweighs their reasons.