Monday, May 21, 2007

Good as Gold

The results of the JIB awards are in. I won in two categories:

Best Anti-Establishment Blog - Gold

Best Large Blog - Silver


First, I want t thank all those who took the time to vote for me in any of the categories I was nominated.

Second, I want to congratulate all the winners in all categories. While I do not read all of them, and in fact some of them may be of the type whose views I disagree with ...and in some cases, I might even be vehemently opposed to them as anathematic to Torah, I never-the-less congratulate them for their ability to communicate their message. Job well done.

My ‘biggest’ win is in the category of anti-establishment. The truth is that I never thought of myself as anti-establishment at all. And I still don’t really think I am. I actually think of myself as pro establishment with an eye to improving those establishments which serve Klal Yisroel in one way or another.

I would never for instance want to God forbid destroy Agudah. I think the service they provide for the Torah world and the entire Jewish community is invaluable. The list of their achievements are numerous and enviable.

They are a target of this blog only in cases where I think they have erred or used bad judgment. Or when I disagree with a position they have taken. And my criticisms although at times strong have been respectful. And the same is true about any institution within the Torah world. Strong and passionate criticism at times… yes. But anti-establishment, no. And I am the first to say that these are my considered views and that I may be in error myself. I am always ready to be corrected. Emes is my goal.

Never the less, I accept the award.

If anti-establishment means fighting institutional injustice, I am anti establishment.

If anti establishment means standing up for victims of abuse in Torah institutions, then I am anti-establishment.

If anti-establishment means trying to change an educational system in Israel that perpetuates and increases poverty, then I am anti-establishment.

If anti-establishment means fighting mental abuse by some establishment figures on young people seeking their advice and council then I am anti-establishment.

If anti-establishment means fighting people or groups who denigrate other people or groups whose Hashkafos are not in lockstep with their own, then I am anti-establishment.

These and other things I have written that need attention and improvement are the kinds of things I talk about here all the time and if that makes me anti-establishment, then I wear that badge proudly.

Once again, thanks one and all for your support.