Saturday, October 27, 2007

Gedolim Cards – Rabbi Shmuel Jablon Responds

My recent post on Religious Zionist Gedolim Cards generated many comments, some of which raised questions that could really only be answered by the creater of this set, Rabbi Shmuel Jablon. As an occasional reader of this blog, he was pleased to read about his project, and sent me an e-mail responding to some of those questions. He has graciously allowed me to share them with my readers. So here now, Rabbi Jablon:

1- I created these cards to teach my students about some key Religious Zionist greats. I also happen to give out lots of baseball cards during the year, take children to baseball games, and use baseball in many educational ways (See here ) . My attempt was to use this very familiar and enjoyable "style" (cards) to teach the children about our true heroes. I can report to you that many, many students have started to ask for these cards instead of baseball cards!

2- This set does not include every Religious Zionist great. The cards are expensive to produce (over $1 each), as well as being very time consuming. The focus, as is evident, is clearly on Israeli Religious Zionists. I hope, in the future, to make cards of Rav Chaim David HaLevi zt"l, Rav Avraham Shapira zt"l, Rav Yaakov Reines zt"l. Among Americans, certainly ones of Rav Aharon Soloveitchik zt"l and yblch"t Rav Herschel Schachter shlit"a also would be excellent. Again, though, time and cost are huge considerations.

3- These cards are all of Religious Zionist Torah Giants. I don't like to do "comparative Gedolim" as that tends to be a bezayon to the Torah itself. HaRav Shlomo Riskin shlit"a is certainly a Torah giant. He has started numerous Torah institutions with thousands and thousands of talmidim, built up an Israeli city, been responsible for hundreds (at least) of Olim, brought many Jews to Torah, etc, etc, etc. Though some may be uncomfortable with some of his positions, from where I sit he is clearly a living Torah giant. He also- by the way- has a strong kesher to the Cleveland Jewish Commuinty (where I've worked for the past 8 school years as Head of Lower School at Fuchs Mizrachi School) and has visited here a number of times. Thus, my desire to strengthen the kesher between him and my students is clear and quite le'ma'aseh.

4- Naturally, I selected Rabbis (though clearly not every Rabbi) who I wish to teach about...There are others, of course, that I discuss with my students. Not all of these are Religous Zionists. However, clearly- as a Torah educator who is a Religious Zionist- I want (without apoligies or excuses) to hold certain Rabbis up as the pinnancle to which our students should aspire. This is no different that "Right Wing" Torah educators do. We all have a right to reach our hashkafa...so long as Ahavat Yisrael and "Eylu VeEylu" respect for all Torah haskafot are part of that teaching.

5- There is a companion set that I've produced for students of "Heroes of Religious Zionism." I've started with six men and women, none of whom are Rabbis. You're welcome to see here. I maintain a web site, and appear often on the Lookstein Institute's (LookJed) email list. Thus, I am not too hard to find and am happy to correspond with any and all interested in discussing Jewish Education---particularly in the Religious Zionist-Modern Orthodox Community.

With all best wishes, Rabbi Shmuel Jablon