Thursday, November 01, 2007

Is Agudah Good for the Jews?

Here’s a riddle: What do Rabbi Yakov Horowitz, Rabbi Avi Shafran, and Jonathan Rosenblum have in common?

Answer: They are all connected to Agudath Israel in an official capacity. They are also three of my favorite people.

This may seem like a contradiction given my supposed antipathy toward Agudah. But the perceived antipathy towards Agudah is just that: perceived antipathy. I have no such antipathy. In fact I am a fan of Agudah, although I am not a member nor do I wish to be.

Agudath Israel is one of the most affective lobbying groups in America. Over the years they have either been directly or jointly with other Orthodox groups (and in some cases even Christian groups) responsible for a great number of advances for observant Jews. Both in the workplace and in Jewish education. They have had some of the most brilliant legal minds lobbying on our behalf.

I suppose one could say that my criticisms (some of them very strong) of some of the decisions of the Agudah Moetzes… or my differences with them on the definition of Daas Torah might be the reason people think I am opposed to them. But as I said they are wrong. I am not opposed. In fact I am very supportive of Agudah in most cases.

I am not a black and white person. Not everything is either all right... or all wrong. Most things in life are various shades of gray, and my view on Agudah is no different.

Which is why I support their fine work and differ with them Hashkaficly.

And that brings me back to the three outstanding gentleman I mentioned above. Each is unique in what they bring to the table and each contributes in their own way. Indeed their very connections to Agudah are completely separate and different from one another. But they are all tremendous assets to… not only Agudah, but to Klal Yisroel. Not that I always agree with them either. But in the vast majority of cases I do. And they are three of the most effective communicators in the Orthodox scene. They know how to get their message across.

I salute Agudah for employing such talented and effective people. And I salute these three individuals for having the courage to write as the do. I also applaud Agudah for allowing them to do so. It is to the credit of the Agudah Moetzes that they not only allow them to write as they do but that they actually listen to them and respond positively... even if a bit too slowly.

I do not think it is a coincidence that the Agudah Moetzes has been dealing with issues like 'kids at risk', and most recently with child molestation in the Jewish community. These among others are issues that I have written about, and in many cases, so have these Agudah spokesman. I can’t help but believe that the views of these spokesmen have had an impact on Moetzes thinking. Especially behind the scenes.

It’s nice to know that the rabbinic leadership in Agudah has a somewhat open mind on these subjects and is willing at least to listen to their lay leadership, and perhaps even make changes in their policy. While the changes may be slow in coming…to paraphrase the Kotzker Rebbi (from my last post) at least they are going in the right direction.

So… Is Agudah perfect? No. I still have serious issues with them. But are they good for the Jews? You bet they are.