Friday, December 07, 2007

A Bad Decision for NCYI

I am very disappointed by the recent decision by the National Council of Young Israels (NCYI). They have taken a huge step to the right in some decisions recently.

The irony is that I agree with almost all their Hashkafic concerns. For example they have forbidden any member Shul to run Women’s Tefilah Groups. This is something that I am opposed to. They are now scrutinizing applicants for rabbinic positions in a transparent attempt to reject rabbis ordained byYeshiva Chovevei Torah. I strongly disagree with the Hashkafos of that Yeashiva.

Other issues have to do with Serarah. There is a Halachic problem with women taking public positions of leadership… Serrara. I am not so familiar with those Halachos but I am pretty sure this is an area where there is room for exceptions. I know of Orthodox public institutions where women are presidents. And they are well accepted by all of Orthodoxy. NCYI has nonetheless forbidden women from becoming presidents in member Shuls.

They have also forbidden converts from becoming Shul presidents. This too, is a Halacha I am not that familiar with. But there is room for compromise. A lengthy article in the YU Commentator mentions that Rav Moshe Feinstein Paskins that we should be lenient in these matters. Rav Moshe even sanctioned a convert to be a Rosh HaYeshiva. To preclude any Shul from doing so smacks of undue Chumraization. Especially one that is supposed to be represent Modern Orthodoxy.

As I said, I oppose innovations like Women’s Tefilah Groups. And I have serious issues with YCT. In fact I am very upset with some of the more infamous Rabbis ordained by YCT, like Rabbi Darren Kleinberg. His tactics lead me to seriously question if he should even be recognized as an Orthodox rabbi by anyone including his alma mater, YCT.

However, I would never forbid the things NCYI did. As long as there is some Halachic basis for allowing them, they should be allowed. Some people need these kinds of innovations. NCYI should not deny them that. It doesn’t matter that some of us don’t like it even if our concerns are legitimate. As long as it isn’t Assur a member Shul of a Modern Orthodox movement should be allowed the room it needs to make decisions in line with their needs.

This is comparable to my attitude about co-educational high schools. I am very opposed to them. But I am even more opposed to closing them down. For some students and their families, that is what they need and if they don’t go there they will end up in public school. As long as basic Halacha is followed it would be criminal to shut down a coed Orthodox high school.

In the same way it is not a stretch to see a strongly feminist Orthodox woman leaving Orthodoxy because she is denied the ability to attend a Women’s Tefilah Group. Is it really worth moving the NCYI to the right if we are going to lose people by doing so? I don’t think so.

Is the handwriting on the wall? Is NCYI going to suffer and ultimately lose member Shuls? Will it be a critical mass so as to end the organizations own existence? I don’t know but that seems to be a distinct possibility. What may result is a further factionalization in Klal Yisroel. That would be bad. How many divisions can Orthodoxy handle already?!

In my view member shuls should have the right to set their own standards. L’Chumra or L’Kula. As long as they are Halachic.

NCYI has a right to do what it wants and make any rules it desires. But it does so at its own peril.