Monday, November 24, 2008

The Shiva Ends

I just wanted to express my appreciation to all those who came to comfort me in person and those who sent condolences via e-mails, phone calls, and in the comments section of the last post announcing the Petirah - the death of my mother. Thank you all.

A word of explanation of why my Shiva ended so late. My mother passed away on Motzoei Shabbos - Saturday night. I was then in a state of Aninus. This means I had not yet started Aveilus, the official mourning period. That happened upon the completion the burial. That took place on Monday evening of last week - Halachicly Tuesday. Hence my Shiva ended today, the seventh day after the burial. The principle of Mikzas HaYom K'Kulo applies so that any portion of the day is considered like the entire day.

I will be getting back to my regular blog posts later today beginning with a tribute/eulogy to my mother. And as soon as this post is up. I will begin approving all comments made during the Shiva.