Friday, December 18, 2009

Doing the Right Thing

Matzav.com has published a hand written letter by Rabbi Elya Ber Wachtfogel empathically denying that he has taken over the helm of EJF or to head its rabbinic committee.

Here is Matzav’s translation from Hebrew of that letter:

Erev Shabbos Kodesh Leseder Mikeitz Tof Shin Ayin L’P”K

This is a notification that the rumors that were spread of late regarding the EJF organization, which alleged that it is under my direction, are in error and baseless.

And to this I affix my signature,

Elya Dov Wachtfogel


I don’t really know much about Rav Wachtfogel. I understand that he is a big Kannoi and that he has a popular following. I am not here to judge him on any of that. I don’t really know what he is a Kanoi about. I suspect that I might oppose him on some issues. But on this issue I salute him. He has cleared any question about his integrity here.

This means that the press release by EJF is a complete lie. Either that or Rav Wachtfogel is lying. Somehow, I don’t think he is the one telling lies.

This is further evidence of EJF’s worthlessness – as if any further evidence is needed. The rabbinic committee as it currently exists should resign en masse. If the distinguished rabbis on this committee feel that their work is vital and that they must continue to build on whatever successes they have achieved - it need not be under an EJF banner. They can build on those successes elsewhere.

Serious people can debate whether what they are trying to do is a good thing or not. Or whether the methods they use are legitimate. But that isn’t the issue here.

Let them begin anew and completely sever any relationship they have with EJF. It is the right thing to do.