Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My Prayer for Reuven Ben Tova Chaya

Although he is a near picture of health – a cat-scan done yesterday of my grandson Reuven Ben Tova Chaya shows otherwise. The Tumors in his lungs have dramatically increased in size. And a growth on his skull that was surgically removed last year has reappeared.

The news was not all bad. Other tumors either shrank or disappeared entirely. But this was not the news we were hoping for.

Doctors have not given up hope. And his prognosis has not changed for the worse. There will apparently be more surgery to remove the tumor on his skull (his brain is not affected) and he will resume his regimen of oral chemo-therapy.

Reuven is also on a specially designed diet that has helped many cancer patients reduce and even eliminate tumors. I personally know of a few such cases. He will continue on that regimen.

Tens of thousands of people world wide have been praying for him. Some in their daily Shemonah Esreh some saying Tehillim in groups or as individuals. Others have been learning Torah or doing Chesed in his Zechus. Your Teffilos are very much needed and appreciated. I know they are helping. He has already beat the odds. But he has a long way to go.

Please! Keep them coming.

I do not cry easily. But I cried like a baby after watching a YouTube video of actor Alfie Boe (as Jean Valjean) singing ‘Bring Him Home’ from the musical version of Victor Hugo’s Les Miserables. I thought of it earlier today as I was agonizing over the news and accessed it .

While not an exact match to our situation these words express my current state of mind. It is a prayer to God.

God on high
Hear my prayer
In my need
You have always been there

He is young
He's afraid
Let him rest
Heaven blessed.
Bring him home
Bring him home
Bring him home.

He's like the son I might have known
If God had granted me a son.
The summers die
One by one
How soon they fly
On and on
And I am old
And will be gone.

Bring him peace
Bring him joy
He is young
He is only a boy

You can take
You can give
Let him be
Let him live
If I die, let me die
Let him live
Bring him home
Bring him home
Bring him home.