Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Reuven’s Levaya - Postscript

The outpouring of sympathy towards me and my family at the passing of my grandson has been overwhelming! I am humbled by the care and concern of my fellow human beings. My family and I have gotten support from all manner of Jew and non Jew, religious and irreligious, believer and non believer. Whether it was direct face to face contact, by phone, facebook, personal e-mails, or comments here on this blog the feeling of empathy expressed was universally the same.

At times like these it doesn’t seem to matter whether we disagreed on any particular subject. We unite in our sorrow. I am comforted. For me this was a reaffirmation that humanity at its core is made in the image of God.

Reuven’s body was buried today in the Eitz HaChaim Cemetery in Bet Shemesh, Israel 2PM Israel time - 7AM Chicago time. I listened to the three Hespedim via a telephone hookup and could not hold back the tears.

My daughter and son in law will be sitting Shiva for a few more hours at my son’s home in Ramat Bet Shemesh (until about 9PM Israel time) and then begin their journey back to their home in Chicago to complete the Shiva. They will be arriving on Thursday.

For those who wish to be Menachem Avel - pay a Shiva call to my daughter and son in law, please note the following:

The family will be sitting Shiva at 6325 N. Whipple from Thursday at Mincha until Tuesday morning.

Mincha on Thursday, Sunday and Monday will be at 6:45 PM and on Friday at 2:30 PM.

Shacharis on Friday, Monday and Tuesday will be at 8:00 AM and on Sunday at 8:30 AM.

This has been a difficult time for us. I have been unable to focus on anything else since Reuven’s Pertira. At this time I wish to express my most sincere thanks to everyone for your warm thoughts of condolence.

I hope to resume posting on the issues of the day tomorrow.