Thursday, July 04, 2024

A Rare Moment of Achdus

   Saw this message from Shlomo Werdiger, President of the Agudah. Although I do have some differences with Agudah, I do support the good work they do for the Jewish community. They are probably the most organized and effective public service agency the Orthodox Jewish community is privileged to have in their corner. The following message is an example of the type of. Achdus I would love to see a lot more of. So even though I did not ask permission, I am posting it in the belief that Agudah would be pleased to share this message beyond their immediate membership. It follows in its entirety.

Having had the opportunity, over the years, to engage in conversation and dialogue with secular Jews, I have often mused about the fact that sometimes, it takes the perspective of an outsider to appreciate blessings we take for granted. Those actively involved in kiruv will tell you of the gift they receive when they get to behold the beauty of our community through the wonder-filled eyes of a newcomer.
 This reflection gives chizuk in challenging times, and in recent weeks, I had two different opportunities to notice this.
 At an event for Congressman Mike Lawler, we welcomed Speaker of the House Mike Johnson, and I was joined by a cross-section of Monsey askanim and activists.
At one point during the discussions, I looked around the room, in which there were representatives of every sort of mossad - chassidish, yeshivish, Modern-Orthodox, Ashkenazic and Sephardic- in awe. There might have been external differences, but it was an "agudah achas" and every person in that room was identical in their passion about the chinuch of their children. As they spoke, you could hear that, whatever the accent or inflection, what they were really saying was “There is nothing- nothing!!!- more important to us than our children and their future as committed, connected Jews.”
I found it inspiring, but it was just a personal reflection: those thoughts were given expression when we welcomed Governor Hochul at our home. 
Interestingly, she was joined by her husband, First Gentleman William J. Hochul. Now, I am sure that the sushi, kugel and fruit platters on the table were tempting, but I doubt that our gathering was the most exciting one to which she’d been invited that week: I wondered why she had chosen to bring her husband to this specific meeting.
She answered the question before I asked it. “I wanted him to see a community that is so focused on education. We have two children and it’s inspiring for us to see how seriously people take the mandate of raising their children properly.”
Ashreichem Yisroel. From inside, we don’t always appreciate it, so every so often, it’s good to take a step back and view ourselves from the vantage point of others.
Ki yidativ, Hashem said of Avraham Avinu, I love him. Why? Because he cares so deeply to transmit the mesorah to his children. It was true then, and we, children of Avraham, are still worthy of that love.
May we always be able to look at ourselves with an ayin tovah and succeed in being an agudah achas laasos retzoncha belev shalem,
A gutten chodesh!