Wednesday, August 26, 2026

The Jewish People Are My Family

Jewish unity event in Washington DC - November 14, 2023
I can’t do it. I cannot separate Jew from Jew. We are one.

I am often asked why I am so persistent in my quest for Achdus when I have so often expressed how upset some of the differences between us make me. And they truly are upsetting. Some more than others.

Given any one minor thing that upsets me, I would generally shrug it off or ignore it entirely. But in the aggregate, it is very distressing. My discussion yesterday about how mainstream Orthodox Judaism has morphed into a society of extremes that are now becoming the norm is an example of that.

So, as much as the new and “improved” version of Orthodoxy has upset me, I refuse to separate myself from those who practice it. I consider all Jews to be my brothers and sisters, regardless of how they lead their lives. Which, in recent years, has increasingly meant adopting extremist customs as the norm.

The fact that I don’t approve of the way they lead their lives does not mean that I love them any less. I love them just as I did before. That I lament the change and wish things could go back to the way they were, when extremes were not the norm, is irrelevant to the love of my fellow Jews.

I care deeply about the welfare of each and every Jew in the world, regardless of whether I agree with them or not. We can disagree and still be family.

This, of course, does not apply only to the Charedi world. I feel exactly the same way about the left - even the far left of Orthodoxy, with which I have profound disagreements. At the same time, the fact that I believe they are mistaken in their views of Orthodoxy does not diminish my love for them either. They, too, are my brothers.

As are secular and most heterodox Jews, most of whom are not observant through no fault of their own.

I am not here to judge anyone. My beliefs about the truths of Judaism notwithstanding, even as I may entirely reject the extreme beliefs and practices of both the right and the left, we are all part of Am Yisrael. And in most cases, the extremes by which people live are based on sincere beliefs that they are doing the will of God.

Nor can I judge people whose lifestyles are based on same-sex attraction or people who are confused about their gender identity. Although I reject celebrating such lifestyles, I do not reject their humanity or their Jewishness.

Are there exceptions? Well, yes…

To continue reading - and/or to comment on this post - click on this link: substack. You must subscribe to receive new posts. It's easy and it's free. 

Disqus