Sunday, September 04, 2022

Agudah's Advocacy - Pros and Cons

Most people that read this blog, know my ambivalence about Agudah. On the one hand, as an advocacy group and service agency, there is not the slightest doubt in my mind that they are a marvelous asset for the entire observant Jewish community regardless of the Hashkafa of any particular segment. Their successes in this regard are too numerous to mention. Needless to say, I am a huge fan of this aspect of Agudah.

On the other hand their public policy positions are occasionally at odds with what I believe. Not that they are not entitled to their own Hashakfa, They certainly are. But it upsets me when they characterize their positions as the only acceptable ones to the exclusion of all others. As though if you disagree with them, you are anti Torah. To say that this is upsetting to me is an understatement. It is insulting to me that when my positions are different than theirs - they are characterized that way – whether by insinuation or directly.   

 A prime example of this dichotomy is demonstrated by their approach to 2 current issues affecting observant Jewry.

On the plus side, there is the following message sent out via email by Agudah: 

Today, Agudath Israel of America filed an amicus curiae (friend of the court) brief asking the US Supreme Court to issue an emergency stay pending appeal, to prevent Yeshiva University from being compelled to recognize an LGBTQ+ club. 

I am pleased to see unity between YU and Agudah on this issue. I wish I could say that - even though Agudah is not an adherent of YU’s Torah U’Mada (TuM) Hashkafa, that they at least agree that it is a legitimate Torah Hashkafa. 

But I tend to think this is not the case at all. Were that so, they would be talking about allowing YU Roshei Yeshiva addressing their major events like the Daf Yomi Siyum HaShas that takes place every 7 and a half years. Unless and until they do that, there is no real evidence that they do consider TuM legitimate. I believe that they are defending YU in this instance because they happen to agree with this particular policy. And perhaps more importantly because a SCOTUS ruling against YU would have a negative impact on Yeshivos that align with Agudah’s Hashkafa. 

That said, I am nevertheless pleased that YU and Agudah are on the same page at least on this issue and happy to see their support in the form of an Amicus Curiae brief to SCOTUS. It is this kind of thing that makes Agudah the valuable asset that I believe it to be. 

On the other hand it is disappointing if not surprising to see Agudah’s activities on behalf of perpetuating ignorance of core secular subjects among a segment of our people. Which they characterize as the exclusive Torah view, to the exclusion of all other views. Including mine. This is reflected by the following message sent to via email to observant Jewry by Agudah Executive Vice President, Rabbi Chaim Dovid Zweibel (which included a link for donations to the cause): 

Once again, the issue of “substantial equivalency” which plagues yeshivos across NY State, threatens our children’s core hashkafa and our way of life. With the kedusha of our future generations in the crosshairs of government control, who if not us will be there to monitor developments, analyze regulatory memos, and mount a determined grassroots response in respectful protest? As a proficient organization with political savvy, public trust, and the backing of our gedolim, we knew it was our responsibility to mobilize the community in amassing a 250,000-strong voice to write back against government encroachment of our religious liberties. 

In the absence of any counter argument, the Agudah was able to mobilize huge numbers of observant Jewry to sign on. 

I am not going to repeat my reasons for opposing the perpetuation of ignorance among a certain segment of our people by using religious freedom as their argument. (Reasons that should be self evident.) Whether the religious freedom argument has merit or not is beside the point in my view. What matters is the result of a victory that will perpetuate ignorance. I would be a lot happier if they were on the side of eradicating it rather than perpetuating it.  

So there you have it. This is why I am ambivalent about Agudah. Even though I completely disagree with them on this issue (and occasionally on some other issues) I still believe that in the aggregate, they are too valuable an asset to dismiss - or worse to see the kind of vehement opposition to them I often see..

When there is disagreement - that should certainly be expressed publicly. Which I am happy to do. However, when there is agreement – as in the abovementioned support of YU - we ought to enthusiastically and publicly acknowledge that, tool. Which I am also happy to do.