Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Of Released Hostages and Rabbi Eisenman’s Journey

Rabbi Ron Yitzchok Eisenman at the rally
I’m happy to report that a hostage deal has been reached. 50 of the hostages (women and children) will be returned in exchange for 150 Palestinians woman and children currently in Israel prisons. (I suspect that the so-called ‘children’ are teenagers that were not just caught with weed. But are in jail for something a lot more serious.. But I digress.) Hamas will also get a brief pause in the war.(4 days?). 

I am overjoyed that some of the innocent Jews taken hostage by one of the most savage terrorist organizations on the planet. But my joy is tempered by the realization that nearly 200 hostages will still remain captive. 

That is not my only concern. I worry that the pause will enable Hamas to re-group and making it more difficult for Israel to defeat them. And may even may result in more IDF casualties.  

Another thing that worries me is that Israel will  then be pressured to make it permanent. That would be a mistake of tragic proportion. Hamas has already promised to do October 7th again and again  until they liberate Palestine.

My hope and expectation is that Israel will not lose sight of its mission and finish the job. And then to make sure that no like minded terrorist group arise to rule Gaza in its place. 

On a completely different (but obviously related) matter one of the best (if not THE best) responses to Rabbi Aharon Feldman's explanation of why the March was banned was given by one of my heroes, Rabbi Ron Yitzchok Eisenman. In his weekly Short Vort he describes in great detail why he attended it despite concerns over his own health. And the tremendous Kiddush HaShem that unfolded before his eyes. In numerous ways. 

If Rabbi Feldman wants to know why he was so terribly wrong he should read it. The following are some excerpts. But I urge everyone to read it in its entirety. It is riveting! Whether you are observant or not you will not be disappointed. It will make you proud to be a Jew: 

I was thrilled to be informed that there would be a Tuesday morning Vasikin Minyan, Rosh Chodesh Kislev, at the White House.

This was particularly meaningful to me as the last time I davened at the White House- which was for Mincha on Thursday, May 18, 1978- I was kicked in the head by a Secret Service Officer… 

This time would be different. As I was met by the smiling Secret Service Officer, she politely asked me, "Are you here for the Prayer Service? Is so, right this way!" 

It was 6:20 in the morning, and dozens were already present. I entered a spiritual paradise I have never experienced in my over six decades of existence in this perplexing world.

I was met by a crowd that would swell to hundreds of the holiest Jews I have ever had the privilege to bask in their presence. I felt total Jewish unity. Achdus in the truest sense of the world.  We were there to daven at sunrise in front of the house of the most powerful person in the world. 

There was no agenda other than saving Jews and loving Jews. This was not arranged by any political organization or agenda-driven group. Rather, this was a grassroots effort by Jews, some who had risen at 2 in the morning (or never slept) to daven at sunrise and beseech Hashem with our collective hearts. 

The Tefilla was something I had never experienced in my life… I felt sorry for my fellow Jews who did not experience such a davening that was unmatched in the annals of communal Jewish Tefillah. No one cared what you wore or what group you were aligned with. …no need to ask if you were Modern Orthodox, Chareidi, or secular- it was a time when the entire Jewish people were in danger and a time to unite in Tefillah…

(Later at) the National Mall…  I saw hundreds and hundreds of Yidden coming from every direction possible. There were Jews with  headcoverings and many (perhaps most) Jews without head coverings. They were happy, smiling, joyful, and friendly.We all greeted each other with love and understanding…

I met one Jew- tattooed from elbow to hand. I asked, "How long did it take you to get here?" "It took me nine hours!"

 "Wow, that's certainly a commitment to your people!"

He added, "The bus we hired refused to take us when they found out where we were going. So, a few of us grabbed an Uber. It cost us $900."

My face displayed shock and disbelief. Would I spend $900 to sit in a car for nine hours?" Yet, his face displayed disbelief right back at me.

 "Is it not worth $900 to help save the hostages and save additional Jewish lives?"

(T)here were numerous Minyanim for Mincha. Plentiful amounts of young men were offering to oblige many men who were pining to fulfill the Mitzvah of Tefillin, perhaps for the first time in their lives. Young men and women were distributing cards to find a Torah partner. The atmosphere was a total love for the Jewish people and authentic Jewish tradition.

I did not listen to any of the speeches… The point was physically being there…I did not meet one person interested in the content of the addresses or the speakers… Someone told me that a clergyman from a different faith spoke. However, even if a non-Jewish clergyperson spoke, it caused me no concern.

Pastor John Hagee never once mentioned (I listened only on my return to his remarks) even the slightest hint that any Jew should join with him (during) his short nine-minute speech… 

Yet, even his presence, could it be possibly considered wrong? Are we never to court or count non-Jews among our friends? Indeed, did not Agudath Israel of America file an Amicus Brief supporting the Archdiocese of New York's appeal on assisted suicide?