Tuesday, August 04, 2026

Grassroots Rebellion?

New Charedi party head, Motty Leitner
I am not optimistic. At least not as optimistic as Rabbi Yitzchok Adlerstein, who recently wrote about what he considers an earth-shattering change in the dynamics of the Charedi world in Israel. I wish I could share his optimism, because I wholeheartedly approve of what he reports has happened.

There is a new Charedi party, HaTzibbur HaCharedi, (headed by) Motty Leitner, the thirty-something Rachmastrivka chassid, IDF reservist, and Deputy Mayor of Beit Shemesh. Defying the local establishment, he founded an independent charedi list there - and won.

This new party addresses issues that have troubled me for decades. As Rabbi Adlerstein notes, the day has finally arrived when some charedim in Israel are saying:

“Enough is enough. We work for a living and refuse to be treated any longer as second-class citizens, whose children are barred from schools and who are humiliated when we walk into shul. We want to participate in the Jewish nation, accepting the responsibilities of citizenship, and not stand to the side in its hour of need.”

This party addresses the two issues that I - and many others who care about the welfare of Klal Yisrael - have long considered among the most important: the refusal by the Charedi world to serve in the IDF and the lack of the kind of education that would enable them to better support their families. These two issues have always stuck in my craw.

This party appears to offer a more positive approach. With respect to military service, it promotes the induction of all non-learning Charedim into the IDF, while those who are genuinely learning full-time would remain exempt.

I still believe this exemption is too broad and far more generous than what the rest of Israeli society receives. I would have preferred a more inclusive enlistment policy in which remaining in Kollel could not be used as a convenient means of avoiding military service.

Be that as it may, requiring all working Charedim to serve would likely provide enough additional manpower to ease the burden now borne by reservists who are repeatedly called up for long tours of duty because there are too few soldiers to replace them.

The educational side of the party’s platform is something I wholeheartedly support. The study of Limudei Chol should accompany Limudei Kodesh throughout elementary and high school, and beyond for those pursuing careers that require additional education.

With all of that in mind, I too celebrate this development.

But as I said at the outset, I am not optimistic that this will become the new standard in the Charedi world. On the contrary, it has already been rejected by the “party of Lithuanian Gedolim,” Degel HaTorah, which – as noted by Rabbi Adlerstein - argued:

Breakaway charedi parties have little future because the mainstream remains strong and charedim will continue voting as instructed by their rabbinic leadership (emphasis mine).

Sadly, I think that is an accurate prediction. Even if this new party somehow manages to win a seat in the next Knesset, its members will almost certainly be ostracized by the mainstream Charedi parties. If not branded as enemies of Torah

To continue reading - and/or to comment on this post - click on this link: substack. You must subscribe to receive new posts. It's easy and it's free. 

Disqus